A-ha!

468x60

After having received brilliant advice from NoPinkHere and several others regarding how to save the loungy pants, I went to it this morning with a will.

I soon discovered catching up with Google Reader and seam ripping just doesn’t go well, so I queued up episodes of Better Off Ted on Hulu, and off I went.

About 45 minutes later, the pants were back to their sewn-crotch-only state.

And I was covered in tiny bits of thread.

NoPinkHere had suggested adding a side stripe on to give the pants the needed width. Casting about for the right color, I went through a solid yellow, a Kona brown and a few others that just didn’t feel right. Finally, I remembered the Mill House Inn dessert roll hanging in the closet. A-ha! It was absolutely the perfect length, no trimming/measuring required.

This time, after stitching the front and back together, I tried them on before sewing the casing. Still suspecting too low of a rise, I added another stripe onto the top, using a different color of the dessert roll.

I could have folded it directly in half, but I wanted to err on the side of caution to avoid Yet Another Pants Fiasco. Additionally, I’d sliced holes in the pants where the drawstring was previously located, so a little half-hearted machine applique came into action. I finished by using the string Moda wraps around their bundles as the draw, and stitching around the new drawstring holes by hand.

The dessert roll casing didn’t quite go all the way around the top, so I added a second color to fill in the gap, leaving the selvedge showing a bit, although the “Moda” ended up folded in on it. And I still got a bit of a pucker at theย  end of it all, meh. Ok, next time I’ll try the danged pins. But I did iron this time!

They fit pretty well now, except for One Little Detail:

Doh! I guess I should have taken the waistband down the full half. Ah well, better too long than too short.

Thus, the end result was not what I originally envisioned, but ended up being something better in the end. One of Life’s Lessons, I reckon. If we work with what we can and take what comes, rather than stubbornly try to push something through that may not work… it will turn out ok.

Thanks to everyone who offered advice on that last post – I don’t know where I’d be in this process of Learning to Sew without all of the tremendous support and help.

Free Kefir Recipe eBook from Cultures for Health

Posts at least a little bit like this one:

Clothing , ,

4 responses to A-ha!


  1. Way to take your fail and make failmonaide ๐Ÿ˜€

    Glad this worked out – pants are awesome. Makes me wish I still had a sewing machine

  2. Sandi

    Woot! Love the additions. Not what you originally pictures, but will still be comfy and are still cute!

  3. Cool! I’m glad my suggestions helped! Hope they’re comfy!

  4. Erin

    BenC – thanks. ๐Ÿ™‚ they’re comfy for lounging, but sort of bunch up weirdly for sleeping. ah well, practice practice. i’ll keep my eyes peeled for an estate sale machine for you!

    sandi & nph – thanks much! you guys rock.

Leave a Reply